Yellow's Green

The Adventures of Money Blog.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What's this all about?

Erik and I are/were your typical contemporary young couple when it comes to finances: neither of us were out-of-control when it came to money, both frugal, but with college degrees and the student loan debt to go with it, and the relatively low paying job. (I worked in the non-profit sector, and Erik was self-employed.) So, begin our married lives with three loans to pay off (Erik hadn't consolidated, I had). We both paid our own way through college, so our student loan debt was sizeable, yet neither of us went crazy accruing unneeded debt. I wish I could remember what our net worth was then, I think it was close to -$20,000. Neither of us really tracked our spending, but we never really had to as we just didn't spend more than we had (minus college).

It all started with Erik's mom, really. She's the one who pushed reading "Smart Couples Finish Rich" on us and got us going on this whole thing... (thanks Susan!) Now, we have almost turned budgeting and financial management into a game. Of course, being "Yellows" we probably wouldn't be doing it at all if we didn't think it was fun.

Anyway, in less than a year, our net worth is somewhere around $4,000 - not including any of the cars we have that we could sell, or any other "stuff" we could decide to add.

The purpose of this blog is to record our adventures in finance, share fun things we discover, and keep track of finance books we've read and what we thought of them. I'll try to remember all the books we've already read and write up a review of them.

Welcome to our adventures in finance!

2 Comments:

  • At 4/19/2006 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amber & Erik
    I think that this is a fabulous idea. Ben and I are very into talking about and organizing our finances. We are looking forward to reading what you post and adding anything that we might have found or done that's been helpful.

     
  • At 4/26/2006 9:12 PM, Blogger luminainfinite said…

    This is Rad!

    I took the Landmark Education's Money Seminar and started to look at my finances in the face for the first time....not a pretty sight.

    I am so happy to talk about money and talk about it with fun people!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home