Yellow's Green

The Adventures of Money Blog.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Work Ideas for Amber

I used to teach piano, but I've never been to keen on the idea of doing it once I have a family because then my working hours would be at the same time as my school-aged children's at-home hours. Last night, while reading "The Number," a book about retirement, I had a great idea. What if I offered adult beginning piano lessons to retirement communities - aka "Active Adult communities?" Then, I could work during school hours, set my own schedule, use my piano skills, my teaching skills, get to work with beginners (which I love to do), and fill a unique niche. I *like* it!

The only problem is, however, this would have to wait until my kids were in school. For now, I just have one newborn - so this idea is several years away.

I did have another idea that could get going soon, though. Even more than teaching piano, I would LOVE to teach composition. I realized last night how easy it would be to offer composition instruction online - targeting home-schooled kids. I would just have to set up a website - it would really be a piece of cake. And, the costs of running a website would be far less than renting a studio to teach in, or traveling to people's homes.

Finally, I really should finish my book. I began writing a picture book story a few years back, and I'm still really sold on the concept I have going - but it still needs a lot of work. It would take money up-front to commission an illustrator (I have one I'd like, but the art won't happen until there's financial incentive), and to market the book - but once it's done it could be a money maker. I know the idea of the story is good enough to sell - it's all a matter of me having the discipline to get it done.

4 Comments:

  • At 4/20/2006 2:45 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Oprah is working on American's Debt also.
    http://www2.oprah.com/money/debtdiet/steps/debtdiet_steps_main.jhtml
    It might not apply to you as it is mostly focused on debt, but it is interesting.

    I hate anonymous too.

     
  • At 4/20/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Oprah has a new financial segment.

    http://www2.oprah.com/money/debtdiet/steps/debtdiet_steps_main.jhtml

    It might not be for you as it is focused on debt, but it is interesting.

    I hate anonymous also.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just thinking of your "book" this weekend! Yes - you need to finish it and publish it! Then I can claim fame through having another author in the family!!! Purely selfish reason, I know!
    Sas

     
  • At 4/25/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger brohammas said…

    artists respond to financial incentives???? What a bunch of selfish materialistic bums. Forget the guy you were thinking of and use me.

    Oh wait.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home