Yellow's Green

The Adventures of Money Blog.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Baking Soda in the Bathroom

Baking Soda is great, and I mean really great.
You can use it for everything. Well, maybe not everything, but perhaps half of everything. Food, air freshener, non-toxic cleaner extraordinare. There are so many good uses for Baking Soda, that I'm going to begin collecting and sharing them here. You can get 16oz. for around $0.75. Let's start with where I use it the most regularly, and compare prices, shall we?

(in big wrestling or bad car dealership's announcer's voice)


"Baking Soda in the Bathroom"


(don't forget the corny echo here)

(End announcer voice.)

Air Freshener: I leave a small open box near the toilet. It's an odor absorber. With the occasional open window or match, no additional air freshener is needed. Maybe I'm just naturally not-stinky, you argue? Think again. ;) I use cloth diapers on my baby, and the dirty ones live in a vinyl bag in the bathroom.
box of baking soda: $.75
potpourri: $2.97 on sale
glade plug-in: $6.99
plug-in refill: $3.45
air freshening spray: $4.99
fancy-dancy time release freshener: $42.52

Toilet Bowl Cleaner: Every time I *ahem* "go number two" I sprinkle some in (after flushing) and do a quick go around with the toilet brush. It's the only in-bowl cleaning I have to do.
box of baking soda: $.75
nifty-necked bottle of toilet bowl cleaner: $2.63 bulk and on sale
drop in the tank and forget about it type: $8.99
no-touch disposable type: $27.54

Drain Cleaner + Freshener: 1/4 cup down your drain, followed by 1/4 vinegar. Seal tight till fizzing is done, and then flush with hot water. (I also periodically pour boiling water down the drain. Leftover water in the tea kettle, or when straining pasta, saves boiling time and energy and works great.)
box of baking soda: $.75
White Cleaning-Grade Vinegar: $2.99/gallon
Liquid Plumr: $11.99

Sinks and Counter Cleaner: I plug up the sink, pour in some in, add warm water and go for it. Alternately, sprinkle it around just like Comet, and use in the same way.
box of baking soda: $.75
some sink specific cleaner/sanitizer: $16.64/Gallon
comet: $1.36 buying in bulk

Floors: When the sink water is done cleaning counter-tops, I throw the mop in it and go for the floor.
box of baking soda: $.75
Swiffer Wet-Jet: "Starter Kit" $19.99
Floor Cleaner: $2.29



*The following I haven't used yet, but plan to. I know there are easy recipes out there, and will post them for reference on this blog:


Hand Cleaner (Aka soap), Toothpaste, Body Freshener/deodorant, Mouthwash, Shower Curtain Cleaner, Brush & Comb Cleaner, Bath Soak (Oh, how I wish I had a bathtub of my own...).

And this is JUST in the bathroom. I'm telling 'ya, Baking Soda is amazing.

***DISCLAIMER***
Prices were found by a quick and painless search on Froogle, and you may easily find different prices when you look. I'm not even going to promise that I got all the links right. I am not endorsing any of the products linked to, nor the sites they are listed on. I am endorsing baking soda, but am not getting paid a dime, nor am I endorsing any brand. Why a disclaimer, Amberlynn, you only have about two readers anyway? Because you just never know.

5 Comments:

  • At 8/24/2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does anyone know about using Baking Soda as a drain cleaner with a septic tank? It's not that I envision our septic tank exploding into the front yard but, just curious if anyone knew if this was an issue. I can imagine that 99% of the stuff we send down our drains is 1,000 times more volatile than baking soda.

    Also, baking soda is super to make volcanoes. ;)

     
  • At 8/25/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Amberlynn said…

    Baking soda has got to be the least harmful drain cleaner you could use with a septic tank. The volatile fizz doesn't last that long...
    Though making a volcanoe in your yard could be fun!

     
  • At 8/29/2006 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rather than buying baking soda toothpaste, keep a plastic 35mm film canister full of baking soda near your bathroom sink. Dip your wet toothbrush in the baking soda before you put on toothpaste. The minty freshness of the toothpaste hides the taste of the baking soda.

    It's good for cleaning greasy hands after car or bicycle repair as well, add about a teaspoon of baking soda to whatever soap you normally use to wash your hands. Works better than anything I've used. Even under fingernails. No need to buy special hand cleaners or harmful solvents.

    You can also use it occasionally as an exfoliating face wash.

     
  • At 8/30/2006 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I probably wouldn't use a film cannister to store anything that I was planning to put in my mouth. Find some food-grade plastic -- a small disposable ziplock/gladware style box, perhaps.

     
  • At 8/30/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger Amberlynn said…

    I've been using a small glass jam jar for the tooth powder I made, which I have to say I have gotten used to after a few days of trying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home