Yellow's Green

The Adventures of Money Blog.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Review - The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need

Andrew Tobias wrote a fantastic book, and says that in a weak moment he let the editors talk him into calling it "The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need." This is one of the few books I passed on to Erik and said "read!" When he finished, he replied, "it just may be the only investment guide we'll ever need."

I read this book during a spell of reading other "investment guides;" A few of Suze Orman's, a few of the Motley Fool's, and another, I think. Suze Orman's were good, but felt a little too marketed for me. (Things like the recurring "log onto my website and type in this special password for more up-to-date... or "watch my tv show." Plus her makeup makes me nervous sometimes.) Not that she doesn't have good things to say, and she definitely have more substance than can be found in "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" but still heavy on the marketing. Motley Fool's books also hold up just fine in their brand of advice (they really really like dividend stock investing) and try really hard to add a twist of humor to what they say (throwing in Shakspeare humor whenever they can).

Oh Sorry, I'm supposed to be reviewing Tobias' book here. It's definitely BETTER than any other investment guide I've read. Sound advice. Simple advice. Natural humor. Loved it. With chapters with titles like "What to do if you inherit one million dollars; what to do otherwise" and "Choosing (to ignore) your Broker" you can already see a glimpse of his humor.

Thanks, J.D. at Get Rich Slowly for recommending this book to me. I'm glad to see he's also reading another favorite of mine, "All Your Worth."

I'd say read (or even own) "The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need" for most investing advice and general finance guidelines.
Read "All Your Worth" to help you put a budget together (unless, of course, you already have a budget that you're sticking to and that is working fantastically for you).

In Short: One of, if not THE best money book I've read yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home